Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Engaged!!!!



I am still partially in shock! I can't believe Jacob and I are really engaged! This weekend was filled with overwhelming emotions and I think it took me until today for it to all sink in.

The Story:

Jacob and I met in the fall of 2008. We were set up on a blind date by my sorority sister Erica (and her now husband) Tyler, Jacob's friend from high school. We weren't exactly smitten from the beginning ;) but he grew on me! June of 2009 we ended up walking together in Erica and Tyler's wedding! We didn't see each other again until the following fall, and started dating that winter. Fast forward to 2012 and we live in Tennessee! Jacob is in Nashville working for a company called BoTel and pursuing his music career, and I am finishing graduate school in Murfreesboro 30 minutes away.

Jacob and I have been talking about marriage for quite a while. Precious boy that he is, he cannot keep a secret from me for the life of him! The original ring I picked out in Ruston was sold when he called to talk to them about buying it. Of course, he tells me immediately in a panic. I was a little upset and didn't really know how to react. The next week my friend Aaron and I went and picked out another ring here in Tennessee. Jacob went to get this ring, and again, it didn't work out! The ring couldn't be sized to fit my baby fingers (I wear a size 4). Of course, he tells me again!! Admittedly, I may have been more upset than necessary. I had so many emotions that he was telling me what was going on every step of the way, and that every ring I picked out was gone. I thought there was no way he would ever be able to suprise me.

The next weekend we came into Ruston for father's day. Michelle told me she couldn't come in town because of a work obligation and I was so dissapointed that I was coming in town and not able to see her. Little did I know that she and Jacob had been plotting all along. Friday June 15 we were headed downtown to meet some friends at Raw and parked about 3 blocks away. If you know me, you know I didn't let this go easily and grilled Jacob as to why in the world he would park so far away. As we rounded the corner I saw the sign below on the Dixie and was absolutely shocked!



Nothing could have prepared me for that moment. I was surprised and just so happy. I felt like I was in a dream watching it happen. I knew I was supposed to be acting and doing certain things, but I just couldn't process it all! Later, Jacob told me he felt the exact same way! He almost forgot to get down on one knee. :) After, I looked over and saw Michelle and her husband Jacob across the street hiding and videotaping. It was the best moment of my life. Later we got to celebrate with our family and friends nearby. He ended up picking the ring by himself, and as usual, he knows me better than I know myself! I could not ask for a more beautiful ring, perfect proposal, or amazing fiance!!!



I feel so incredibly blessed to be marrying this wonderful man. He is truly my better half. On one hand it feels so new and exciting to call him fiance, and on the other it feels like this is the way it has always been. He keeps me grounded and level-headed when I can be a little hard to deal with!

The Big Day:

We have set a date! June 8, 2013 will be the day I become Caty Simmons (squeal)! Nottoway Plantation in White Castle, La is the venue and I cannot wait! It has always been my dream to get married at a plantation. I've always had a flair for the dramatic, if you will, and needed my venue to match!





I can't wait to keep everyone updated and let you know details as we know them. I am so thankful for the friends and family that made last weekend possible and so special. I am so excited to share every moment with our loved ones.

4 comments:

  1. YAY FOR BLOGGING! AND FOR THE ENGAGEMENT! I am so thrilled for you guys. It is going to be a GORGEOUS event it looks like. I have never heard of that venue, but it looks amazing. So happy for y'all and I am adding you to my blog roll so keep it up sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!!!! I tried for two days to be the first to comment on your blog, but have had problems. I hope I get an invite to the big event! I am so excited for you and Jake. Luv and miss ya! Vonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both!! Hannah you have to tell me how to add someone to a blog roll...haha I dont even know what that means but I like the sound of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can do it, Caty! Under the Design tab on the top right corner there is a function called Layout. Under Layout you will see how your blog looks like from a setup point-of-view. You will want to add a gadget (mine is on the right). You can click on any of these to start adding fun things to your blog. Blog List helps you track any blogs you follow! Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete